Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Johnny Cash Blues

We were talking about Cash the other day at work, and I remembered I wrote this tribute to him on the day he died. To the tune of "Folsom Prison Blues" (obviously, I hope).
Johnny Cash Blues
E
I heard the news this morning: His road has reached its end
E E7
We won’t hear any new songs from the man in black again.
A E
It’s a Friday in September, and time keeps draggin’ on.
B7 E
Life ain’t gettin’ any better, ‘cause Johnny Cash is gone.

When I was just a baby, he was rockin down at Sun
with Jerry Lee and Elvis and blue suede Carl Perkins
Then he had his own TV show, played Folsom prison, too,
And yeah he played some silly songs, like “A Boy Named Sue.”

He kept on making music, right up until he died;
“The Man Comes Around” made me feel so lonesome I could cry.
The train is in the station. The song has reached its end.
We’ll never hear another man like Johnny Cash again.

No comments: