Monday, August 13, 2007

Hana Ho

"Hana Ho" is the first song that I ever envisioned as a simple rock song, but the verses are all based on stuff I did with a particular group of friends, so they're the audience I had in mind when I wrote it. I'd like to hear it with about 1000 people singing the chorus.

Hana Ho
[Intro]
C B C B C B C
You know how when you walk along the beach and then look back,
C B C B C B A
Even as you’re standing you can see the waves erase your tracks?
C B C B C B C
The days now seem to flow by just like waves wash on the beach;
C B C B C D E
These are just a few nice shells or rocks that I still want to keep:
E A E B A E
On vacation in Hawaii, we cycled down a volcano
The tour leader told us when it was time to go
He’d brush his hand across his head, and shout out hana ho
[Chorus]
Hana ho, hana ho. We just wanna rock and roll.
Hana ho, hana ho. The hell with growing old.
Hana ho, hana ho. We just wanna rock and roll.
Camping with my friends, telling stories, drinking beer.
It was down at Old Orchard. Man the skunks were everywhere.
Security guard came down, told us, “Pffft, yer outa here!”
[Chorus]
Carol and Lorene, you should hear the things they say
Each one trying to tell the other to put her cash away
When we’re all out together on Fit family Sh-sh-shatterday
[Chorus]
My friend Chris throws a party. He calls it Reaganstock.
He gets his friends together to play a little rock.
I took my lover to it; she came down with fortyshock.
[Chorus]
[Bridge - play intro pattern again]
I used the wrong hand to take a little sip.
When Brad caught me at it I didn’t cry, I didn’t quit,
‘Cause I’m a Bull Moose M*F*, and I’m damn proud of it!

1 comment:

Jeff said...

BTW Hana Ho is Hawaiian for "Do it again," but it comes off more like a Yee Haw! kind of exclamation.