Sunday, July 15, 2007

Bad Woman Blues

I wrote a few songs where my goal was to recycle some imagery from old blues songs and have the song sound like a classic blues, so people would say, "who wrote that?" Expecting it to be Robert Johnson or Blind Lemon Jefferson or something. Then I'd say, "me." This is one of those:

Bad Woman Blues

Listen to me, woman, I got somethin’ to say.
Listen, listen, listen, I got somethin’ to say.
Thing’s have gotta change; we can’t go on this way.

I’ve put up with you, woman, for too long a time.
Put up with you, yeah, too long, too long a time.
The way you bein’ doin’ me, it oughta be a crime.

The way you treat me, just ain’t right.
The way you treat me, no, that ain’t right.
Lay ‘round all day, ‘n’ then you’re gone all night.

If you don’t love me, why not just say so.
If you don’t love me, you can just say so.
If you don’t think I’ll leave, sit back and watch me go.

I’m gonna quit you, and it won’t be long.
Gonna quit you, and it won’t be long.
Go on out tonight. Tomorrow I’ll be gone.

I think it’s time for me to dust my broom.
Think it’s time for me to dust my broom.
One a your drinkin’ buddies can have my room.

No comments: