Thursday, July 19, 2007

Over the Hill

This is one of the two or three best songs I've written, and the one that has a chance of being immortal, if not making me immortal (nor making me any money). It is a birthday song for people who are "getting up there." My next challenge re this song will be to figure out when a person is so old it isn't funny to sing it to them.
Over the Hill
gleefully (you aren’t the one being serenaded!)
G D
Over the hill, you’re over the hill
C G
You feel like week-old road kill
G D
The buzzards are circling, don’t stand too still
C G
___________ You’re over the hill!
Em Am
One day you wake up and something has changed:
D7 Em
You didn’t get hurt, but still you’re in pain,
Em Am
The face in the mirror looks tired and strained
D7 Em
Like your mother’s/father’s would if he were deranged.
[Chorus]
It’s a good day, ‘cause your stomach’s not THAT upset;
A good bowel movement means more than good sex.
You’ve gotta go to work ‘cause you aren’t dead yet.
This isn’t voodoo, and it isn’t a hex. You’re just...
[Chorus]
You’re no longer part of the Pepsi generation;
You’re well on your way to antiquation.
Your most stylish clothes are years out of fashion;
And all your favorites songs are on the oldies station.
Yes, you’re...
[Chorus]
Yes, your hearing’s shot I SAID, YOUR HEARING IS SHOT,
You need bifocals, too, and your gut’s gone to pot.
Remember the chorus? I knew you forgot;
Don’t call it Alzheimer’s, it’s only brain rot,
Because...
[Chorus]

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jeffy,
It looks like you've added a few more lyrics since you sung this at my birthday party. Or did I have a senior moment when I heard it?

Jeff said...

I can't remember.
The only lyric I added after I first composed it was the one with "I SAID, YOUR HEARING IS SHOT."
However, I frequently get nervous when I sing it and forget either the second or third verse.
Maybe if I get to come sing it at your next forty birthday parties I'll get it right eventually.